Sunday, February 20, 2011

I am more than the sum of my parts

I am the delight in the sunrise, the joy in the face that now sees
I am the bounce in the step no longer hindered by disease
I am the tears of joy of one who takes her first breath
And I am the hope in the one who no longer fears death

You can find me deep within the confident doctor's craft
For one lost on the ocean of despair, I am his life raft
I am marked forever in the skin of the gravely burned
I become the spark in the new love that now is returned

I can dance in the lives of those I've never known
And am loved by their grandchildren long after they've grown.
You see, my body, my vessel, I am blessed to outlive
My plan for my form at my end - a donation to give.

I chose a great life on this earth, while I could,
My legacy of contribution still does me good.
I gave, and still do, with all of my heart
And, I am, oh, so much more than the sum of my parts.

                                                                         - Ellison 2/17/11

No comments: